Tuesday 26 June 2012

A Wedding Quilt, but different.

Fabrics from Australia and my stash
Fabrics from Australia and my stash
Less than a year ago, my daughter Sanne and her friend Wouter announced their wedding plans for June 23rd, 2012. You could say there was enough time for the design and making of a wedding quilt, but the final idea was born just before we left for our trip to Australia in April/May. It was decided that it should be a family project, not only joining the efforts, but also multiple techniques. Patchwork, applique, cross-stitch and quilting were combined in a contemporary wedding quilt. My mom and daughter Leonore were involved in the process of choosing the colors and during my trip 'down under' I  found the perfect fabrics.My brother in Canada and his daughter Julia were invited to make some stitches as well.

The idea was to make a tree filled with apples, each apple containing a little symbol or figure characteristic for the happy young couple. All apples were bordered with the fabric of the top and fit into the correct spot, as is shown on the apple tree map (left picture; A is for apple...).

All the fabric for the top was cut, but I could only start putting them together, after the apple-stitch project was finished!

The tree itself and the foliage were made by applique; the drawing was copied on fusible web, ironed on the top and anchored with little embroidery stitches.

This part was done in group sessions, which gave us also the opportunity to practice the songs we prepared for the wedding. Oh, the best fun is preparing for a party, with all the secrets and surprises!
Working together to get this project finished!
With Leonore.....
...... and my mom!
Five left-over apples were put together in a separate border that was attached with ribbons under the quilt. On the other side, the names of each person that had helped with this project was embroidered by my mom. After finishing the top, I quilted a chained heart border.
June 23rd, 2012 was a lovely sunny day. After weeks with too much rain, this really was special, but exactly what the bride and groom deserved.
After a beautiful ceremony in the Town Hall of Wageningen, where Sanne and Wouter live, we had a day filled with joy and happiness. Lots of friends came to congratulate the happy couple and in the evening, after a lovely dinner, it was party time!

That was only 3 days ago; it is amazing how time flies, I am sitting on my couch and wondering what my next project will be....





1 comment:

Karen Andreola said...

A good life to the happy couple.

I enjoy seeing your apple tree quilt in progress. How nice that family members took part in the project. Enlarging the photographs I see the details of cross stitch and fabric prints on this lovely wedding gift.

Admiring your work from America,
Karen A.